Why Airborne Dance?
Our desire is that Airborne Dance is a place for everyone. By offering classes for all ages in a variety of styles, we strive to have dance become accessible to all!
Everyone benefits from dance education. Dance helps students:
Build strong movement patterns ∗ Learn about musicality by listening for and feeling the rhythm of music ∗ Explore individual movement qualities ∗ Learn how they like to move: soft or sharp, high or low, fast or slow ∗ Build self-expression. Dance helps students of all ages express feelings that are sometimes difficult to put into words ∗ Discover a love of physical movement and dance ∗ Find their own artistry ∗ Discover their own work ethic ∗ Build friendships that last a lifetime ∗ And so much more!
DancingBees (Pre-School Dance Classes)
Ages 2 1/2 – 5
We believe dance is a great way to build healthy patterns for both the brain and body. Starting dance at a young age can not only develop positive habits but keep unhealthy habits at bay. Through a combination of play and structured routine, our DancingBees program benefits young children physically, mentally, socially and emotionally.
- Build strong movement patterns. Through the use of creative movement, somatic practices and the basics of technique, students will learn foundational ballet, tap and jazz steps and vocabulary that will benefit their overall development and growth.
- Learn about musicality. Students will learn to listen for and feel the rhythm of music and develop their ability to create their own.
- Explore their individual movement qualities. Students will be encouraged to learn and experiment with all types of movement words, beginning to learn how they like to move. Soft or sharp, high or low, fast or slow, and many, many more!
- Build self-expression. Through creative movement exercises students will develop their ability to express themselves by using music, props (balloons, scarves, ribbon sticks etc.) and movement.
- Discover a love of dance. Our goal through the DancingBees program is to build a love of dance and music that will last a lifetime.
We have two age groups for our DancingBees students: 2 ½ to 3 ½ (must be potty trained), and 4 to 5 years of age.
DanceNastics (2 to 6 year olds)
DanceNastics classes give the student the opportunity to experience both dance and gymnastics in one class! Students will receive instruction from both our TumbleBee and DancingBee curriculums in class each week. Please note that toddler dance classes for the 2 and 3 year olds do require a parent to participate with the student during the gymnastics portion of the class.
Recital or No Recital? You get to decide! We offer the choice to opt in or out of our annual Recital. See our Dance Performance page for more information regarding our annual spring recital before you make your final decision.
Our goal for our Mini-dance classes is to give young dancers the opportunity to explore the technique and creative expression behind many different styles of dance. We believe that a love for dance, a foundation of work ethic and strong developmental growth patterns can start early. With this in mind, we’ve created a program to give more chances to dance for those who are looking!
Click Here To View: Mini Dance Summer 2019 (Longmont)
Mini dancers also have NEW opportunities to join Airborne’s performance groups. For the first time this summer we will be offering Mini Tour Ensemble, for those young dancers who love the stage and just can’t seem to get enough of the spotlight! Interested in more performances? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Dance fundamental classes provide a necessary stepping stone from DancingBees to Junior technique classes. Students will focus closer on specific technical skills and steps and begin to learn about class etiquette and work ethic. With positive feedback and support mixed with a fun and playful learning atmosphere, students will begin to mature as young dancers.
Dance Fundamental classes will help your student:
- Build a strong dance foundation. Through the use of ballet, jazz and creative movement lessons students will learn the basic techniques, vocabulary and fundamental skills necessary to progress in many different forms of dance.
- Gain an understanding of respectful class etiquette. Students will learn what the expectations of classroom behavior is for a dance technique. Strong focus and hard work will be intertwined with play and creative movement.
- Find their own artistry. Through play and creative movement exercises, dancers will take their technical knowledge and explore their own movement, musicality and expression.
- Develop a fundamental work ethic. Students will begin to learn how to work hard in class and the intrinsic rewards that work can create.
Junior & Teen Classes
Junior and Teen classes offer students a deeper look into the specifics of dance technique. Whether it is ballet, tap or hip-hop, dancers will learn the detailed skills, choreography and history needed to excel in each form. Students will focus not only on what they are doing but HOW they are doing it, taking a fundamental knowledge of dance and developing it into proficient technical skill.
Juniors: Ages 7-12 (7 and 8 year olds must have already taken a Dance Fundamental class.)
Teens: Ages 13-18
Levels and Placement:
- Please keep in mind that these ages are approximate. While these are a great starting point and we do consider the age of dancers, we treat each student individually when it comes to their level placement. We determine levels based on age along with physical and technical skill, years of experience, maturity and class etiquette. The first two weeks of each session will be used to determine if your student is in the right level.
- Junior and Teen classes are different! Younger students and older students learn in different ways and that is why we have classes for both age groups. We expect teens to progress a bit faster than juniors and hold them to a higher standard of self-responsibility and accountability. Therefore, junior and teen levels will not always directly correlate with one another. We encourage parents and students to give less attention to the level number and more attention to the class content being covered. Our goal is for every student to be learning new material/concepts and finding new growth each and every class.
Click here to view: Junior 2019 Summer Schedule (Longmont).
Click here to view: Teen Summer 2019 Schedule (Longmont).
Studio Hip-Hop: Rooted in African dance, hip-hop is great for any dancer looking to expand their dance training. Dancers will learn different styles of hip-hop, as well as the culture and history behind them.
Musical Theater/Performance for Dancers: Born out of Broadway, musical theater combines dance, singing and acting, and students will do a bit of each in this class. Focus will be mainly on musical theater choreography and performance quality.
Tumbling for Dancers: Get those tricks stage ready! This class will focus on those gymnastics skills that are great for choreography, including handstands, cartwheels, aerials, back & front handsprings and many more. And the best part – it will take place in our dance rooms in addition to the gym.
Improvisation/Composition: This class is for the Int/Adv dancer ages 12-18 who has an interest in improvisational techniques and creating dances. Students will explore different ways of making movement and composing their own works.
Teen Contact Improvisation: In this exploratory class, dancers will learn the basics or improvising with a partner and/or group, including weight sharing, partner lifts and kinetic awareness. Recommended for Modern 4 & 5 levels.
Advanced Contemporary Choreography: This class is for the advanced dancer who is looking to increase their ability to pick up choreography quickly. Students will warm-up, learn different choreography each week and practice performing in class. Nervous about conventions or workshops? This is a great class to help you get comfortable!
Strength & Stretch Classes: At Airborne Dance, we strive to raise both strong artists and strong athletes! Check out our selection of strength and stretch classes.
Contact Airborne Dance Academy
Based in Longmont, CO, Airborne Dance academy offers dance classes for kids of all ages, including ballet classes, hip hop dance classes, tap dance classes, and more. We have kids come from Boulder, Longmont, Erie, Berthoud, Louisville, and other surrounding Front Range areas.